20090501

Class of '09 Spirit-David Kastelman!

Hmm, today I thought I'd post a little bit about spirit and spirit competitions at school.
So to tell you the truth, I've never truly loved spirit in high school up until this year. I mean I've enjoyed a lot of it, but the part that really was a bit jarring, was just how much of 'spirit' was focused on making fun of other classes in skits and what not. I mean it can be funny sometimes...

To me spirit is like half-intense-sports-game half class bonding. Spirit has been best when the class is jumping up and down and yelling for no other reason than to be 'spirited.' Spirit is definitely an epitome of one part of high school, the part that emphasizes that we're not quite yet adults, cuz we are far too 'zany' to be adults just yet, which means that we can and should still yell and chest bump and wave our foam fingers in the air with abandon. Spirit is also definitely a part of class bonding. Spirit is more about seeing classmates that have gone to school together for 10 years but have never said more than 10 words to each other prior to 'spirit,' hug each other after a successful dance rehearsal. What better way is there to get to know your classmates than over a chorus of '90s britney spears in the midst of learning a dance routine.

So I guess I don't really care too much whether or not the class of '09 finishes with the most or the least spirit points. Because I don't really consider points to be spirit, and as much as it's blasphemous to say, I don't really consider "class competition," to be synonymous with spirit. Spirit isn't about beating the other classes. Spirit to me is pure and simple about the Class of '09. And I think this year especially, our class has done a great job of engaging in class "competition" only to the extent that it energizes our own class. And I thought today's rally and all year has been a lot fun, and I think the class has really done a great job with the better parts of spirit: yelling wildly and bonding over three-legged races. Congrats Class of '09, the next few weeks will be fun.

Well written Davey.

That said, I don't think any other class in the entire universeeee will EVER know how much winning this rally meant to our class. Sure, winning the year would have been flipping awesome too, but this rally was the perfect way to end our four years at Harker.
Hell, we got Anand to dance to Spice Girls, it definitely doesn't get better than that. And I can honestly say that watching our entire class dance up in the bleachers was amazingly heart lifting.
The view was definitely better from down there ;)
And whoever heard of senior boosts? Every single one of those 11,000 something points we won today was hard earned.
So it's okay that we didn't win, the juniors deserve it too with all the work they put into it ...for just about everything, I suppose. But the important part is that we finally pulled together when we thought it was impossible freshman year, and the next three weeks will hopefully make up for the past four years. The foamfinger rollercoasters, the chants, the airhorns, the screaming, I wouldn't miss it for anything.

So at this point, I've come to terms with coming second, we should get the most improved award! Usually, that's probably pretty embarrassing but in reality, it shows how much effort and heart we put into it.
I say, screw the points! We graduate in three weeks and we have a world to look forward to.
Spirit has taught me to love this class with all my heart regardless of how terrible we are at trivial matters such as three-legged-races and pumpkin pie eating contests.

And it's one thing I will definitely miss in college. Part of what attracted me to USC was the amazing school spirit they had, but nothing will compare with screaming my heart out with these 170 something kids.

I LOVE this class, and I hope that as we scatter all over the States (into the amazing schools we all got into O_O), we make the best of our college experience and I wish only the best for the kickass class of '09 :)

"After being a senior advisor last year and watching you guys from across the field, and then being a senior advisor with you this year, you are a completely different group of people."
-Hufnagl
Here's to the last 22 days of high school!

No comments: